I watched the Emmy awards this evening. Even though I enjoyed the introduction to tonight’s award show, it still doesn’t change my opinion of Jimmy Fallon. Sorry bud, but I’m going to have to ask you to stop acting like a rockstar. However, I loved Neil Patrick Harris’s jab at him.
Well folks, wedding season is finally over. At least, mine is. The scrambling is over with for now until the next union. I haven’t blogged for days, and there are things in which you, the reader has missed out on. However, for as long as I am in Nebraska, I won’t have a life, so my updates will be a bit lackluster if you will.
I have survived the week of relatives. I have always felt family life in general deteriorating over the past 10 years and I always feel awkward and uncomfortable. I guess in my case, it’s the hiding who I am that makes it awkward and difficult. Perhaps it is cowardice of me to not want to come out fully until I’m moved out and have a steady career. I believe it is important to be myself and I know I can perform at my best when I am ‘myself.’ I’ve never been much of a risk taker, always thinking things thoroughly through. It also doesn’t help that my political and social views are the complete opposite. But I survived nonetheless. The wedding rehearsal/dinner went well, as did the wedding. But two days in uncomfortable shoes and a dress/skirt is enough for me.
I officially have signed my soul away to my hometown school district, becoming a substitute teacher. As I am unexcited about this plan of action due to my experiences with the school in the past (like the lack of support for the fine arts and my name being read off incorrectly at graduation), I’m hoping for learning experiences to come out of this. I’ve signed up to basically sub everything save math, science, sped, and ESL (I don’t feel THAT qualified). There was an immense amount of paperwork to fill out. It was odd being back at the high school, not really recognizing many of the faculty that work there. One of my former instructors stopped by the office I was in and was ecstatic to see me. I’m going to be honest; I’m petrified to sub in a classroom under 5th grade. Or a regular classroom setting in general. I guess what frightens me is the structure of it all. I’m used to seeing a different group of kids every hour or so. That and only teaching music. But I can get past that. I imagine Sky-town kids will be a lot easier to work with than the ones I had in Chicago that I honestly miss. And if I have trouble, I can always use the opening line of, “Hello. I lived in Chicago for half a year and worked with kids who live in some of the most dangerous neighborhoods of the south side. Let’s get class started, shall we?”
She & Him. How do I even begin? I have to say, they were one of the best live bands I’ve heard. I took K~ with me, it being her first time at the Anchor Inn in Omaha. I went there two years ago to see Jenny Lewis and Conor Oberst. The first time I took my best friend in the entire world with me. The Anchor Inn is located along the Missouri river, directly south of Eppley Airfield. Basically, it’s out in the boonies. You have to drive on poorly kept gravel roads to get there. But the place is pretty chill and amazing to see live shows at when the weather is nice. Three great moments: 1. Zooey Deschanel playing the Rhodes, 2. M. Ward bring out THE Mike Mogis to play with them, 3. Doing a cover of “Roll Over Beethoven” by The Beatles during their encore. And sooo many indie girls there. Heavens tibetsy (in a good way).
S~ leaves tomorrow for Romania and even though I’ve known about this all summer, I’m not ready for it. I became so accustomed to speaking with her just about every day and now I’ll probably be lucky if I hear from her once a week. It’s going to be a strange year. But perhaps this is a time to strengthen the friendships I have here.
I’ve been thinking about the things that I want to happen over this year.
I want to save up money.
I want to learn how to play my cello well.
I want to improve my violin and guitar skills.
I want to keep learning about music as well as learning to play new music.
I want to learn life skills like how to change a tire, how to change/check the oil, how to use a deep fryer (heck yes). Basic life skills we don’t think of until life happens. If I’m going to live independently in a year, I feel this is essential. We’ll see if I actually complete this task.
Keep reading. I’m about halfway through The World in Six Songs, and by golly, it’s fascinating.
S~, we’re good friends, you and I. Buddy.
There seems to be a common misunderstanding going around. A lot of people think I’ve been living in Chicago, or ask me why I’m not living in Chicago. I’ve been living in Nebraska since May and I can’t live there until I have money and a job there. Now that that’s cleared up…
I’ve been listening to a local band called Thunder Power. I’ve seen them perform twice. They originally drove me crazy mostly because of their lead singer’s vocal style. But their music is rather catchy and I’m becoming hooked. It’s like my relationship with Britney Spears. I was annoyed with the music at first and now I’m warming up to it. That probably isn’t the best example though. I still can’t understand anything this lead singer sings though. But kudos to them for still being around. I’d do almost anything to be creating music and performing with a band again.
Peace out.
No comments:
Post a Comment