Monday, November 8, 2010

How do you solve a problem like Sarah?

Political rants…and other things that bother me (as well as things that don’t).

Today has been a Palin themed day, particularly a Bristol Palin themed day. She was on The Ellen Show, and currently I’m watching Dancing with the Stars (as you should know that she is a contestant on the show). Having watched Bristol Palin dance a good number of times, I still don’t understand why she hasn’t been voted off yet. I highly doubt she’ll win the competition, but if she does, I think many viewers will stop watching the show. Seriously. I didn’t know Bristol Palin is a spokeswoman for teen pregnancy and is promoting abstinence only (DWTS addressed her as a ‘teen activist’). In my opinion, I think Bristol Palin could be doing better things with her time. Whoopty doo for her wanting to go outside her comfort zone and try something new like Dancing with the Stars. Good for her. But I don’t think she realized what she had gotten herself into once she signed on. She’s only 20 years old, with a two year old son and a bat shit crazy mother. Bristol Palin makes $15,000 to $30,000 per speaking gig (who knows how much she’s making for DWTS) she does. Plus, as far as I know, she’s living at home with the rest of her family. Why doesn’t she use her money and go to school? This would perhaps give her a better reputation since her teen pregnancy and crazy mother haven’t helped. That and not getting her absentee ballot in for the recent election.

I tried to find an official website for Sarah Palin and could only find her facebook and twitter account (along with the usual wikipedia page and a PAC site). To be honest, I don’t want to find out what politicians’ political stances are by looking at a facebook or twitter account. I just don’t find it professional. Since I refuse to use twitter, I looked at her facebook. It’s insane. She called Election Day “Freedom Day.” I read her note about Juan Williams. What she’s doing is catagorizing all Muslims into on group; terrorists. Not every Muslim is a radical Muslim, just waiting on standby to attack. What a giant middle finger to Muslim Americans who live their lives like any other average human being in this country. Juan Williams’ Muslim stereotype is like a white person feeling uncomfortable when a black person steps on to the bus wearing baggy pants and a baggy shirt. These are wonderful lessons we are teaching the youth of the United States! I didn’t do any further reading on Palin’s facebook as I could feel my IQ lower. Anywho… Sarah Palin served on the Wasilla city council, became mayor of Wasilla for two terms, and was governor of Alaska for three years. So, most experience was with local policy and just a taste of state (how can you imagine her accomplishing anything while governor when she was the vice presidential candidate for John McCain?). How anyone could see that she’d be a great candidate to run this country, only God, Allah, Buddah, whomever, knows. I guess what irks me the most right now about Sarah Palin is her running around the country being a pundit for FOX News and putting in her two cents in everything through social media. And you know damn well she’s going to run for President. All this time and energy that she’s wasting (and making herself look dumb and bad, thus furthering her reputation into the ground), I’m sure she could put it to much efficient use. Instead of this ridiculous reality show on TLC, copping out for money and exposing her family to the world, why not just put a lid on it and actually spend time with her family and take care of her kids (because you know the younger ones are going to become rebellious teenagers due to the lack of parenting). Why doesn’t she put her for in for wildlife conservation? Though, her shooting animals from helicopters may be troublesome. Even though I find her to be dumber than a brick right now, why doesn’t she put her foot in education? Afterall, the sources I could find on her say she supports education, and that IS an area that needs LOADS of help right now. Her father was a teacher and her mother was a school secretary. Why not? Help the kids. Help the teachers. Though, this may be troublesome when it comes to social issues, but let’s not get into that just yet. A lot of women kind of hate her, especially when she tries to hard to say she’s a womens activist. Whatever. Why doesn’t she put her foot in the door for breast cancer, or ovarian cancer? Womens health. That could quite possibly be the way she could redeem herself. Sarah, when it comes to politics, you just aren’t welcome. There are a lot of causes out there that need help. Politics just isn’t your cup of tea.

Since we’re talking republicans…

Meghan McCain.

I think she’s wonderful to be honest (even though she’s John McCain’s daughter). I kind of want to buy her book (mostly because I can’t figure out her blog). I’ll admit, I think she’s attractive. It also helps that she’s LGBTQI friendly, shoots LGBT PSAs, and judges drag pageants. Oh yeah. She’s a cool republican in my book. She also thinks Christine O’Donnell is nuts and criticizes Bristol Palin’s abstinence campaign because it’s “not realistic for this generation.”

I found an article today about a Tea Party organization going nuts in a town called Fountain Hills, AZ because the town voted to have a single trash collector and start a curbside recycling program. The Tea Party is calling it socialism (isn’t this they’re argument for everything nowadays?). Heavens tibetsy, it’s just trash! AND RECYLCING! It sounds like the town is looking out for the cleanliness and an environmentally savvy way to keep the town clean. Why is it a big deal that Fountain Hills doesn’t have a choice of who picks up his/her trash? It’s trash! People are getting riled up over the stupidest things. Why aren’t we focusing on saving our schools? Finding cures for cancer? Solving homelessness? Putting a stop to crime and violence? Since January, Chicago has had 379 murders.

Now yes, I do spend a lot of time criticizing the GOP and Tea Party. I am a registered democrat. But I’m not saying that I’m satisfied with that my party has done either.

Seriously dems, you need to grow a pair.

Stop piddling around and get shit done. This is why the gays and a good portion of the country are turning their backs on you. The LGBTQI community is getting antsy and fed up. We live in 2010 and the country is letting people get away with saying gays should be hung. Folks, we don’t live in Uganda so let’s knock this crap off. A good portion of Europe is ahead of us when it comes to civil liberties. So what is taking the United States so long? DADT hasn’t been repealed. Conservatives are trying to go back and change marriage laws in Iowa. People can still be fired for being gay. What kind of message are we sending to children? That it’s not ok to be yourself? To not be different? To not love unconditionally? This always ends in a religious debate, so let’s just take it there and get it over with.

The people who oppose gay marriage pretty much have based their arguments on the Bible. What about the people who practice other religions? Or don’t practice a religion at all? What about the folks who don’t believe in God and get married in court houses? To the people who oppose homosexuality and gay marriage, I don’t expect every religion to accept my offer to get married in their church. I do, however, expect to be accepted for who I am. Besides, if I get married, I’d find a church (if I would decide to get married in one) that I’m comfortable with. I also don’t think the people who are of opposition realize how much evolution marriage has gone through. Don’t they realize that history is all about change? Gay marriage in this country isn’t personally inflicting harm on to anyone. And marriage was originally about property. And this sacrament of marriage crap? Look at the overload of heterosexual couples who have been divorced in this country (and especially at those who have been married and divorced more than once). Sacred my butt. Another thing that gripes me is how people condemn gays because they have non-reproductive sex. Straight couples do so as well! Why not pick on them too? Condemn the heterosexual couples as well who can’t have kids or choose not to. Let this be stated; gays are not on this planet to brainwash others. Gay teachers do not teacher so they can brainwash their students into becoming gay. Heavens no! Gay teachers teach because they love to teach, like all the other teachers out there who choose to go into the profession. Homosexuality is not a choice, but homophobia is.

The “It Gets Better” ads.

These were a really good idea in the beginning. But now they are getting annoying because practically EVERYONE has made one. To a good number of the famous and political folks who have created one, I want them prove what they are saying. Does it really get better? Because by the looks of it, it’s not. We still live in a society where you see hateful messages said by politicians every day on the television. White House, let us mean what we say and do it. If it’s going to get better, let’s get this DADT repealed, create job protection, grant gay marriage (none of this civil union crap either, it honestly is NOT the same as marriage), create hate crime laws that include ALL PERSONS and do something about the people who nothing but spread hate.

Over the summer I spoke to a good friend of mine about how the world could possibly change and make a difference in terms of gay rights. My answer was for every gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, questioning (or queer), and intersex person to come out (of course, when that person is ready). This would prove that the LGBTQI community is less of a minority than what some people thought. It’s funny that I said this months ago, because last week I watched interviews with both Portia de Rossi and Ricky Martin and they BOTH said that the only way to really change what is happening is for every person to come out.

It’s only going to get better if change happens.

Human rights should never be something that has to be voted on. Let’s not repeat the mistakes that have been made for years.

A mistake I think is continually made is that politicians don't reach out to the youth enough (and they wonder why the youngins' just don't care about politics and don't care about voting). Not once in this recent election did I see one candidate from anywhere reach out to young voters. It was mostly going towards middle aged voters. Do they realize the things they are voting on will affect OUR generation? So democrats, republicans, independents, whomever, if you want more people to care, reach out to your college aged crowds and such and get your message through personally. Most college students and young adults don't have cable, so they're not going to see your attack ads (nor care to even watch them honestly). Visit colleges if you can. Visit popular hangouts and meet the people you are going to lead. Motivate and convince us why we should listen and vote. I voted in this recent election, but I'll be honest, I didn't know who most of the candidates were because I had never heard of them. I'm thankful I had an early ballot because I could at least have a little time to research the people who were listed. Also, enough with the attack ads. Young adults hear enough bickering in their day to day lives. I'm sure most young adults want to hear from someone who doesn't through drama into others' faces.

Play nice, kids.

Peace out.

2 comments:

  1. Whoa, lady. Is this the start of a political platform? Towards the end it felt a bit like that :) You know I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know how riled up I get when it comes to politics and civil liberties. And in no way is this a manifesto. If it was, I would have left out "Seriously dems, you need to grow a pair." Actually, I would have just worded it differently.

    ReplyDelete