Saturday, January 22, 2011

Bulletproof

I really just flat out should not be allowed to blog after midnight. But so be it. :)

It's been a good Friday. I cleaned my bathroom a little. I finished ironing my clothes. I picked up my room some. I got my daily dose of Ellen and Oprah. I hung out with my good friend Holly whom I haven't seen for over a year. And I spoke with my good friend Andrew on the phone. It was a good day.

A weird one also. I found out that the first teacher I had ever subbed for at the high school was arrested Wednesday for child pornography. I'm absolutely creeped out by this. EEEEWWW.

Anyway.

Because I'm a news junkie I guess…

I had posted on my facebook and article about a proposed bill in Nebraska that would allow teachers and faculty to have a concealed weapon in schools. This idea I found to be extreme and overexagerated after the recent Millard shooting. I'm not going to go into my opinion of it because it's late and I'm lacking energy and focus. All I'll tell you is I think it's ridiculous and should definitely NOT be passed. A new story was done about the reaction of superintendents of the proposed legislation. And they basically had the same opinion as I. Thank goodness. I would never feel safe carrying a gun near a student, let alone in general. Senator Christensen believes this will prevent another school shooting from happening.

Here's the thing.

It won't.

I would never want to have to shoot at a student. I would never want a gun around where the risk would exist of a student getting a hold of. I don't believe you can ever prevent a school shooting because you never know when a person or faculty member could snap. The only thing that can be done is what is already being done, and that is to be prepared. We as teachers can only try our best to get our students to trust one another as well as ourselves and to be aware of what is going on in each student's life. It's like trying to prevent a bank robbery. You can't prevent it. You can only be prepared if it happens. You can't always control what people think (duh!).

I'm not going to go too far into this as I stated previously because it's late. I'm tired. I need to start packing my things to go to Lincoln because I may have to leave earlier than expected due to snow. That and you know should already know why this legislation is a bad idea.

Case closed.

Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment